Saturday, January 15, 2011

Poor Maggs

Maggie got up this morning and said to me "Mum, I have very terrible news, I have been throwing up". I looked at her face and she has petechial hemorrhages all around her eyes. I was hoping this wasn't some horrible obscure virus she picked up, so after a quick Internet search, I found this:
The most common cause of petechiae is through physical trauma such as a hard bout of coughing, vomiting or crying, which can result in facial petechiae, especially around the eyes. Petechiae in this instance are completely harmless and usually disappear within a few days.
Thank goodness it's nothing too serious. I hadn't seen this with her before, hopefully it will soon go away, but right now it's pretty spectacular. Sam said he had heard her in the night & she was up really early this morning, but she never said anything to us for ages and never came to ask us for help.
This really makes me wonder if orphanage kids get programmed not to seek help at an early age and it never goes away....

3 comments:

Martinfamily4 said...

poor sweet girlie - hope she feels better soon. We had to teach Samantha to come to us when she was hurt. When she first got home she would fall and keep going - no tears or anything. We made a big fuss in the beginning and told her she could cry when hurt....now she can be the drama queen, when she wants to - she does however has a large pain tolerance.

Courtney said...

Alex is the same as Maggie. I only find out he's been up in the night sometime the next morning (or if he's missed the toilet!!).

Unknown said...

I believe they have a built in way to need help. However, I have heard it more through NOT getting ill. So if her body can let her be ill then she is comfy enough to let her defenses down. That is a good thing