Sunday, October 2, 2011

You just never know.....

As I pull out of the driveway every morning to go to work and leave my family sleeping soundly, I never think that I may not see them again.  Why would I?  It's a pretty morbid thought to have at the beginning of the day, but it's one that maybe should make you stop and think every now and again.  Unfortunately, this occurred to a colleague of mine this week, his son was killed while cross country running after school.  Everyone says "it should never happen to someone as good as that" and in this case, it's true.  His Dad is one of the nicest surgeons I have ever met, he is always cheerful, treats everyone with respect and is never too busy to help.  The family was generous enough to allow him to be an organ donor and so there are several patients out there that can now lead better lives because of this child's misfortune.  I don't know that I could have made that decision.  So, hug your family as often as you can and never forget to tell them how much you care.....

No comments: