Saturday, March 3, 2012

Parent-teacher conferences

We had a busy week with conferences.  Ben and Maggie's were on separate nights, plus I was involved in the catering for it this time so I was at the school 3 nights this week.  Maggie's meeting was on Wednesday night.  She is doing very well in her class.  Her teacher is great with her and works 1-on-1 with her a lot.  She also brings material down to Maggie's level so that she can be successful.  Maggie's strengths are that she tries very hard in class, she loves school and she is very successful.  Her report shows how far behind she is and it's very frustrating as a parent to see how below her peers she is and that there is nothing else the school can do for her.  She has a huge amount of support and does reading and math in small group sessions.  She gets pulled out of class several times and is kept pretty busy for the whole day.  By all accounts, she still keeps working hard the whole time despite being challenged throughout the day. 
Ben's conference was on Thursday night.  He is doing very well.  They get letter grades in 5th grade and I am always pleased that he has no F's!!!  Of course his grades are not that great, but he's still trying.  He was very happy that he got a B+ for social studies.  Unfortunately his grades dropped in all other areas, but it's just a reflection of how he can't always keep up.  As with Maggie, he is still trying hard all the time and he still likes school.  He loves his teacher even though a lot of the other kids think she is too strict!!!
So, as long as they are still trying hard and enjoying school, they are doing all that we ask of them.  I worry about Ben moving up to the new school where they don't know him and I worry about Maggie going into 3rd grade where things are very different.  I guess it's a mother's job to worry.....

No comments: