Monday, March 4, 2013

A parent's dilemma

I took Ben to Springfield for a gymnastics meet this weekend.  We are not a fan of this meet, not really sure exactly why, but one reason is because they gloss over the individual events and only give a medal for the all-around scores.  Ben did a great job this year and his overall scores were very good.  As usual, he was the highest scorer on the team, but his friend Adam did really well too.  In fact, Adam has improved so much this year, he is much older than the other boys and started much later than they did.
At the end of the meet, Adam scored 50.7 and Ben scored 52.3, they were pretty close.  When they came to the awards ceremony, they announced that Ben was in second place.  I was thinking that there must have been a boy on another team that had beaten him.  No, they said that Adam came first and scored 56.7.  WHAT??????
I think they may have messed other scores up as well because a lady went over to the announcer after the ceremony and was talking to him.  By the time I found Ben, he had disappeared, so I couldn't ask about the scores.  I told Ben just to give Adam the win and not worry about it.  We all knew he had won in reality.  Now, I'm wondering if that's the right decision to make.  Will he always grow up wondering why we didn't fight for him?

No comments: