Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gymnastics-related event

I have had several conversations with parents at the gym about the demise of men's gymnastics.  It is becoming less popular and supported over time.  There are very few gyms that even have men's teams any more, it is definitely geared more towards the girls and probably over 90% of the kids at SLGC are girls.  So, it should come as no shock that Ben shared this with me yesterday.....
In one of his classes, the teacher wanted the kids to share one thing that they take responsibility for.  Ben shared that he got out of bed early for gymnastics class on Saturday mornings.  After class, one of the boys said "oh, you do gymnastics?  Isn't that for girls?"  Ben told me he just told him that it wasn't just for girls and that he didn't care what the other boy thought about it.  Then he just walked away.  I guess it's in the category of dancing or cheer leading.  The stereotype continues and I feel lucky that Ben was able to stand up for himself in the face of that.
You can never accuse our children of fitting the stereotype mould!!!!!

1 comment: