Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Parenting lessons

I walked into Ben's room last night and Maggie was sitting in the middle of the floor with the contents of his magic kit (and there's a lot of it) strewn to the four corners.  I asked her what on earth she was doing & why she was messing with Ben's stuff. Then, I found out that Ben told her she could play with it.  I told her she'd better pick it all up when she was done.  As Ben & I walked down the stairs, I said "Ben, why did you tell her she could play with that stuff, it'll be all over the place.  You'd better make sure that it's all put away after because I am not going to do it"  Ben says "It makes her happy.  Maybe she won't copy me if I let her play with it".  Well, that made me feel really bad.  I was so wrapped up in the fact that it was going to be a mess and I'd have to pick it all up, that I didn't even consider how much she was enjoying herself.  Ben just wanted to make her happy.  Oh, and at the end of it all, they both picked everything up and put it away (almost) perfectly!!!  Yep, "Terrible Mother of the Year" award again for me.....

1 comment:

Martinfamily4 said...

No, you not a terrible mother.... Jeff lets Sammy play with his stuff just to make her happy too... he told me once, Mom it's all about choosing your battles...kudos for those boys loving their sisters.