Friday, July 27, 2018

Ben and Jane trip to England 2018, Day 9

Ben had gone to Oxford on his school trip and he said it was probably his favourite city.  So, I told him we had to go to Cambridge so that he could experience both of the great university towns.  I think that Oxford and Cambridge are so different.  Oxford is crammed into the heart of a large city, whereas Cambridge is more spread out and quieter.  Of course, all of that has changed significantly since I was last there. 
I feel like I've turned into a grumpy old woman with my "things aren't like they used to be" attitude, but I can honestly say that tourism has really taken off all over England and things are definitely not like they were when I was much younger.  Every generation says the same thing, but I could not help but be disappointed when I took Ben to see some things. 
Cambridge has really expanded.  You used to be able to wander into all the college courts and wander around as long as you were not disruptive.  Now you have to pay to go in everywhere and there are guards at all the colleges who can be downright rude. 
Even so, we had a great day just wandering around and taking in the history.  We did not pay to go into any of the grounds, but we really didn't need to
Kings college
We climbed the Tower at St Mary's church so that we could see Kings college
Henry VIII
Kings college from the ground
College door
Just a random beautiful building
Sleepy river Cam, complete with punter!!!!
Kings college from the river
Holy Sepulchre Church, built in 1130
Window detail

No comments: