Sunday, February 1, 2009

The gloves are off.....

We got the information about the Science Fair in the Wednesday envelope this week. It's very late this year because the project is due at the end of February. It doesn't give us a lot of time. This year, I decided that Ben could choose what he wanted to do again. Last year, he had a brilliant project that he came up with all on his own. He was beaten out of winning, primarily because he has such a hard time with writing & didn't write much in his journal. I also refused to write everything for him.

I suggested that he did a survey on kids using growth hormone this year, but he wanted to do something with me at work. I decided we could kill two birds with one stone & he could do an experiment that I was doing. So, now he is looking at the killing effect of cigarette smoke extract on lung endothelial cells!!!!! He made up the solution and added it to the cells today. I could have picked something out of a book like other parents do, but this was what Ben wanted. I can guarantee that it's too much science for him to win anything at an Elementary level, but it's his & that's all that matters.....

2 comments:

Katie and Pete said...

wow, he's a scientist in the making! Remember that last year you were upset that all the othes parents did most of the kids projects, so make sure YOU participate and bring home the blue ribbon this year...

adoptedthree said...

Good for him! I think it is a great experiment and hopefully teaches him a great lesson to never smoke!