Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First day of school

There was much excitement in the house as Maggie's first day at school arrived. Sam took them to school as usual and took pictures for me. Of course everyone that knew Ben was very excited to see Maggie arrive at school and she got a little overwhelmed with the attention. Sam took her into her new classroom and she settled down pretty well and told him he could leave. Luckily (I think!!) third grade and kindergarten have lunch and recess together and so Ben was able to help Maggie with her lunch. He made a good first impression with the new principal because he was helping Maggie open her carrots and she commented on what a good older brother he was (if she only knew). Ben and Xavier were teaching Maggie playground etiquette at recess and I am sure that she felt much better with Ben around. The kindergartners will be getting third grade buddies this year and all of Ben's friends are hoping that they get Maggie, I can't believe the boys are fighting over her already!!!! I was making Maggie's lunch last night and I asked her if she needed me to put something in a bag for her and Ben said "it's OK Mum, I'll be there to help her", I wonder how long this will last for.
Maggie said she had a good day and she was very proud that she ate all of her lunch. I could tell she'd about reached the end of her tether by the end of the day when she started to cry when I told her that Sam was still at work and then really started sobbing when Ben went home with one of his friends. I tried to get her to play on the playground with the kids that were there, but she was having none of it. She told me she didn't have any friends. On the way to pick Ben up, she said she was going to sing a song about Ben, it went like this:
"Ben is so great"
"Ben is playing with Xavier, Ben has lots of friends"
"I don't have any friends"
(Mum, do you have friends?)
"Ben has friends and Mummy has friends and Daddy has friends, but I don't have any friends"
After I picked Ben up, we went through McD's to get them something to eat. The lady at the drive through said "oh, you haven't been around for a while". Eeek.....did we really fall back into the old routine so quickly and were we really McD's regulars? I guess we were and people take more notice of us than I thought!!!!! Honestly, I talked to many parents that I haven't seen all Summer & it's just like we'd never been away, we're already arranging playground assignations and play dates and we've just picked up where we left off. Now, we just need to get Maggie some friends.....

No comments: