Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Is this the first of many conversations?

We have always told Ben that he is adopted from Ukraine. He understood the whole concept a lot more when we went back to get Daniel & Maggie. However, that was 4 years ago now. He mentions Ukraine every now and again, especially since he started doing gymnastics recently. However, yesterday he asked me how & why we chose him. I have always told him that Sam chose him from the other children that we saw, but this time Ben wanted to know what it was about him that made him stand out and I could tell that he really wanted to understand it. I told him that Sam said that he looked like he belonged to us and that we thought that his birthday being the day before my Dad's was some kind of sign. Ben told me that he wished that he had been in my tummy and that I was his Mum in that way. I told him that I will always be his mother & he will always be my son. I also said that we were lucky because we got to choose him whereas when you give birth you just have to take what you get. He laughed and was happy.

3 comments:

Katie and Pete said...

I am dreading the start of those questions but I too know they are going to come. I don't think I will tell him that we chose him from multiple kids though as we didn't do the same with Ella and Luke and I think that will just confuse them all.

Unknown said...

Cute.. In Sunday school the other day a girl mention that Brandon was adopted.. He said "no I am not, I was just born in another woman's belly."

At least Ben is grasping the whole concept.

Martinfamily4 said...

Yes, we too have conversations and have several adoptive story books...how sweet Ben is - what a blessing.