Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The baseball boys of Summer

Baseball season is finally over for the Hudson Hawks. This is the first year that Ben has played and he insists it won't be happening again. He was very enthusiastic at the beginning, but when the momentum was lost with all the rain we had, he quickly decided he'd had enough. However, every time he gets to a game, he does absolutely fine and last night was the only one on our team that stayed behind and played with some of the boys off the other team. Usually he plays in the outfield, but last night they had him playing at first base and at third base for a change. He wasn't too impressed about that for a while, but soon got into it & I even saw him running for the ball a couple of times!!!! He really does pay attention to the game sometimes, but there are many other times where he's much more interested in the dirt. He is not the only one like that, it's interesting to watch the level of enthusiasm, understanding and capability of the boys. There is one boy on the team who is a natural (he has two older brothers), a few that are pretty good, some that are OK when it suits them (Ben's group) and some that are completely hopeless.Of course, he loves to bat and last night he got on base twice and even got around the bases once. Even though it's fun to go and watch them play, and they really do look so cute out there in their uniforms, I have to admit that Ben isn't the only one that is glad the season is over. It always seems like we have other things going on and trying to fit in the games can ruin my other plans. Ben would have missed a lot more of the games if it hadn't been for them being cancelled because of the rain. There have been several times that we were going to do something else. I thought I was the only one that felt like that, but I talked to a couple of other families last night that aren't too sad to be at the last game of the season. Even if Ben decides he isn't playing again, I'm glad that he gave it a go and that we got to experience at least one season. When we were driving home, Ben said "I'm not going to play next year, I'm going to do gymnastics". I told him that I thought gymnastics would be great for him. then he changed his mind & said he wouldn't do gymnastics either. Maggie said "I'm going to do gymnastics and play baseball" and I bet she will....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

our kids are playing baseball too. Rules are a bit lax and of course some kid got knocked in the head with a baseball bat while standing in line.

Glad Ben enjoyed the game.

Katie and Pete said...

We too finished baseball this week and I was SO glad. The games in the heat are horrible...

Martinfamily4 said...

In the beginning the boys can hold attention to long and dirt in the glove is the most fun!!! We are now into Lacrosse...played many many seasons of baseball, soccer, basketball, flag football etc.....