Saturday, December 27, 2014

Christmas Day 2014

Christmas Day always makes me realize how much the kids have changed in the past year. Running to the Dollar Store and picking up a bunch of cheap things to wrap has definitely gone out of vogue and is not an option any more. Sam, Ben and I had already got things that could be classed as Christmas gifts already, so it was all about Maggie this year.  Maggie still believes in Santa, so Ben has been very good at trying to keep her believing.  It is still fairly easy to buy things for Maggie and this year it was a lot of How To Train Your Dragon and Frozen-related stuff.  Luckily (?), Disney is happy to part you from your money in the quest to make your children happy.   

Ben and Maggie insisted on sleeping together.  Not sure if that meant they would be up earlier or not, but they were up at 6:30.  I think Maggie was as excited as Ben this year, she finally got there....
By the time I got out of bed, they had the presents distributed and Maggie was tearing into the paper.  Maggie had by far the most presents to open and she didn't waste any time
Ben managed to pace himself a little bit
Caroline also stayed over so that she could be up in time to see the present opening ritual.  She looks like she's thinking that wasn't such a good idea!!!
Richard is staying out of it and watching from a safe distance
How could we do Christmas without the mustache mints????
After the present opening frenzy, we did a bacon cook-off and compared our usual Trader Joe's bacon to some Danish bacon that we got at Costco.  I'm not sure what the overall verdict was, but I know Caroline liked the subtle taste of the Danish.  I think I still like TJ best.  There is a lot more fat comes out of TJ bacon, so Danish is much leaner.....
Jan and Julie came over around noon.  They were flying to Tucson at 5, so couldn't come for dinner this year.   As usual, they found some very interesting gifts for Ben and Maggie.
Caroline wanted to cook the turkey this year, so I took a back seat and spent most of the day cleaning up!!!!  We went for a quick walk around 2 and then finished dinner preparations.
Arline came round for a short visit after dinner, so we had a full day.  Another successful Christmas gone by....

No comments: