Saturday, December 6, 2014

Equine Assisted Therapy

Maggie started equine assisted therapy last Tuesday. I have heard that it's very good for children that have trouble with self-image, self-esteem and interpersonal skills.  Maggie seems to be struggling with these lately and so we thought we'd give it a go.
Her horse was called Magic and she absolutely loved him.  I think they gave her a smaller horse because they weren't too sure how she would handle it, but she just hopped right on him and was absolutely fine.
They do a lot of riding without holding the reins and they had a session where they have various stations where they were sitting on the horse but doing other things with their hands.  Here she was putting a Mr Potato Head together, but at one point she was riding and holding two eggs in spoons.  That takes quite a bit of concentration!!!!
Many of the other kids in the class seem to be more disabled than Maggie, so it may not work out for us.  However, Maggie was completely oblivious of the other kids and she absolutely loved it, so I'm hoping it helps her in the long run.

No comments: