Monday, March 2, 2009

The past week at school

This past week has been a big one at school. We got school reports home on Wednesday and Ben's was about what we'd expected. He is still not progressing at all and his reading is only now back to where it was at the end of first grade. I asked his teacher if we should be concerned and his reply was that he had been concerned since the beginning of the year. I asked him if he had any suggestions for what we could do and he wasn't very enlightening about that either. I guess all I can do is try to do some extra things with Ben at home & hope that he starts to improve. The overall impression is that Ben does OK in class but he cannot apply anything when he's working independently. I don't know if it's a lack of focus or a lack of ability.

Saturday night was the big fundraiser of the year, Pizza Bingo night. Somehow I managed to be in charge of the pizza orders. Yes, I appear to be getting sucked into school activities more and more-first scouts and now the PTO. I only messed up one order out of 75, which was not too bad seeing as I didn't get 30 of the orders until the day before the event. I was stuck in the cafeteria for the whole event, so I didn't get a chance to participate at all, but I did buy raffle tickets for Ben and he won pizza at CiCi's with his favourite teacher and he won birthday treats from her also. He was very happy.

The Science Fair was on Thursday. We were rushing at the last minute (of course) to get the posted finished, so we could have made it a little better, but it was sufficient to win 1st place. Now, you may think that's a major achievement, but there were only 8 posters, 2 were disqualified and there were 4 first place awards, so Ben had a 50:50 chance going into it!!! We now have to revamp his poster and incorporate the changes that were suggested and the next round (school district) is next week.

Our baby girl is now registered for kindergarten. Sam took in her paperwork today. She is so ready to go to school.

No comments: