Tuesday, May 19, 2009

peonies

Peonies are becoming one of my favourite flowers. A few years ago, our neighbours gave me some & I dug them up and moved them with us to my new garden. They are starting to do well and I have 4 fully grown plants and a couple that hopefully will get a little bigger in the next couple of years. This one is a plant that I bought many years ago and is now in its third house. I bought it when my nephew was visiting and it's called the Nottingham Forest plant. It used to be redder than it is now, but it's still darker than all my others. The drawback with peonies is that they typically bloom when we are having our wettest weather and they end up lying all over the place. I have learned over the years that the best answer for this is to cut the flowers and bring them indoors. I usually don't do this as I love to see the flowers in the garden and they last longer on the plants. I don't have enough room for a cut flower garden unfortunately. The big plus of bringing them inside is that they make the house smell wonderful. I wish their blooming season was longer. When the blooms are done, I usually cut the plants back so that my others can take over. So far, it seems to be working out.

No comments: