Friday, May 22, 2009

What graduation?

Maggie has had quite a week at school. The day care director called Sam and told him that no one could control her yesterday morning. She was sent to several rooms, but it made no difference. She was running around screaming and laughing and refused to take direction on anything. This is the second time this week that this has happened and it typically happens when she is with the purple room children working on the graduation project. The mutual consent was that it was better for Maggie not to attend graduation. My thought on it is that she's not even going to be with her classmates and it's asking too much of her to act the same way that the kids that are a year older than her are doing. I also think that it's unfair for the other families if she runs riot during the ceremony and spoils it for the other kids. She is obviously just not ready for anything like that. She's displaying many of the behaviours that Daniel did when he was in a situation where he had to pay attention or when he was transitioning from one task to another at school. I'm already dreading kindergarten.....
Oh, when I told Maggie that she wasn't going to do the graduation, she cheered. She's obviously not upset about it!!!

2 comments:

Martinfamily4 said...

I am glad you made that decision, I taught the 4 yr old class this year, so Sammmy could go to preschool (she is not potty trained and has severe delays) AND I wish some of my parents had decided that a few of the kids should not be in programs like graduation etc... a few ruined it by there behaviors that they can not control, BUT we have a couple parents that are in denial and think there is nothing wrong with there kids...okay sorry for ranting.... have a nice day! you are a great parent and did the right thing.

Martinfamily4 said...

Samantha is sooo not ready to be with her peers, I can not imagine her even going to kindergarten in 2010-2011...prayerfully and with lots of therapy and help she will be ready then. She has finally been accepted to a special ed school next year...lots of $$$$, evaluations, etc... later she has be somewhat diagnosed and qualified.