Monday, January 12, 2009
Trip to the City Museum
When we had Ben on his own, we had membership to the City Museum for a couple of years. Now that Maggie is a little older, I thought it was time that we invested in another one, so we went there yesterday. Ben has been there a couple of times with Summer camp, but it's been a long while since he's done a 5 hour marathon like we did yesterday. He has changed a lot since I last took him there (probably the time he split his head open, right before we got Daniel & Maggie). It is amazing how a couple of years and a little unfamiliarity can impact a child. Ben used to be completely fearless with everything and that's saying something, because some of the stuff (outside particularly) is pretty scary. Yesterday, he spent a lot of time showing Maggie where everything was and where to go, but he was very hesitant about a lot of it at the beginning. He would not go through some of the tunnels because he didn't know where they led and he did not want to run around in the caves without me being with him. Even though he is very much a leader (read bossy into that if you like), he needs to have someone else with him, even if it is just Maggie. He is very unsure of things on his own and wants someone to go with him most of the time.
On the other hand, Maggie jumped right into the middle of everything and followed Ben everywhere. She wasn't scared of anything and the only thing that concerned her was the fact that they were playing an organ in the caves and it was really loud. We had to leave & come back when it was quiet. She loved the turtles in the pool and spent ages watching them and talking to them. They ran around like crazy and two of my favourite photos are a little blurred because they were moving around so fast. 
I'm glad I decided to go back there as I know the kids will have a great time there in the coming year. It's a good place to develop strength and co-ordination, have an opportunity to do some crafts in the art room and get rid of some energy. Ben fell asleep in the car on the way home.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Is that place to drink coffee in the middle of it all still there? We lovedlovedloved the City Museum when we lived in St. Lou... We miss it So Much when we talk about it!! I'm glad you decided to go back there now that Mags is steady on her feet, taller, etc. What a fun place!!
BTW- Happy New Year!!
Shauna
Looks like fun I love the running picture!
I need to get my kids back to the museums downtown... thanks for the encouraging post. I found your blog again, we had a major computer crash and I am now on our old pc searching for things I need.
Post a Comment