Tuesday, November 4, 2008

...and this is why I could never work from home

I had really big plans for the day. Ben was off school because of the election and I was going to wait for the kids to wake up, get some work done before they got up and got going, and then take Ben to work with me. Well, as with all best-laid plans, that didn't happen. I did get a good start on the day, I got up at 5.30 am, sorted out my email and wrote a review for a paper I had read before Ben & Maggie got up. However, after that, I ran around after the kids and did no more work until I took Maggie to school at 11.30. Even after packing up all Ben's stuff to take to work, I decided that it was just too nice a day to be inside & so we went to the dollar store (Ben's request), Starbuck's (no surprise there) and the gas station (now only $2.09 a gallon-how did that happen?) and then came back home. Ben played outside with the kids next door and I sat in the sun and did some more work. Despite all the distractions, I still got more work done at home than I ever manage to accomplish when I am at work. Sam would be way more productive than I am if he was working from home. There are just too many distractions for me. Even without Ben, I would have been pottering about the house, doing laundry, rearranging things. I know that I could be supremely productive if I could stay at home on a few days and not be distracted by things in the house that need to be done, but I acknowledge that is never going to happen....

1 comment:

Katie and Pete said...

You really do get used to ignorning the things around the house. I wish that I did more laundry during the day... The key to productivity is having the kids out of the house for me.