What is it about free food that makes people just have to eat it? This is a question I have asked myself for a while, but we've actually been talking about it for a few days.
We have had two separate vendor booths this week, both of them have brought coffee and snacky things with them. I have resisted on both occassions, but I had to go down to the foyer of our building on one of the days to look for someone. Everyone was crowded round a table of bagels, so I went to see what the fuss was about. The bagels looked like Hagrid's brother had sat on them and did not tempt me at all. I did wonder why on earth all these people would even consider eating them and the only conclusion was that they were free. I wouldn't have thought any more about them, but the remainder of them turned up in the break area on our floor later. Oh great, not only are they severely misshapen, now they are stale too!!!! Someone else then initiated the conversation of eating something just because it's free and so then I added my 2c worth on how it amazes me that the absence of cost would make some people do unbelievable things. Every weekend when we go to Sam's Club, there are lines of folks waiting to try the free food. They will stand around for 5 or 10 minutes waiting to eat that 1" square of tilapia or a minuscule portion of chicken. As soon as they get their free sample, they just wander off to the next station, they never consider buying anything that they just tasted. I'm sorry, but I'm just not prepared to increase my shopping time by that much just so my kids can try something that we're never going to get.
I guess "free food" is in the same category of the "all you can eat buffet", psychologically you've just got to stuff it all in......
No comments:
Post a Comment