Saturday, November 8, 2008

Music week

Maggie's day care class had music week last week. They had to take in a musical instrument on Wednesday, so I thought I was doing good when Ben found something like a tambourine at the dollar store for her on Tuesday. She was very happy with it and proudly took it to school on Wednesday morning. On Friday, they were supposed to take a CD with their favourite song on it. I am sure most of the other kids took The Wiggles, Alvin & the Chipmunks, etc (Ben certainly would). What did Maggie want? Ghost Town by the Specials. Now, I will not question her choice, The Specials is a band that was formed in Coventry, very close to where I grew up. They were huge in the late 70's/early 80's. Ghost Town is a great song. The song was written in response to the political policies in the UK at the time that the band believed would increase unempolyment, particularly in Scotland and the North and Midlands regions in England. At the time, Coventry had some of the worst unemployment at levels of 20%. Since one of the headlines in the paper today was "Joblessness is at highest since 1994", the song is as relevant today as it was when it was released. All that being said, I wonder what the ladies in her class thought when they played it. Oh Maggie, a radical (dare I say maverick?) at 4. Where will this all end?

No comments: